Kangaroo Petting Zoo
We are thrilled to welcome the newest members of the Cobb's family - 6 Bennett's Wallabies!
Admission to the Kangaroo Petting Zoo is 5 Kernels per person, or included with your Bought the Farm Admission!
Please note children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult (with Bought the Farm Admission or Kernels) in the Kangaroo Petting Zoo.
For the safety and comfort of both customers and petting zoo animals, the Kangaroo Petting Zoo closes at 7pm for all evening events.
What are wallabies?
- Wallabies are part of the kangaroo family - Macropodidae - which includes kangaroos, wallabies, tree-kangaroos, pademelons, quokkas, and several other macropod marsupials.
- Marsupials are mammals that bear their young at a premature stage in their development and raise their infant to a juvenile stage in an anatomical pouch. Some marsupials include: kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, opposums, sugar gliders, wombats
- Macropod means "Big Foot” - Macropods have large hind feet, long powerful tails, relatively small heads, large ears and on the females, forward opening pouches.
Where are they from?
- Bennett's wallabies are originally from Tasmania, an island state off the southern coast of Australia.
- Our wallabies at Cobb's are born and raised Canadians! About 30 years ago, kangaroos and wallabies were being culled in many areas of Australia and New Zealand. A Canadian adopted many of these animals and built a sanctuary for them to live in! This is where our wallabies are from!
Is it warm enough for them in Canada?
- The Bennett's Wallaby has the densest coat of all the kangaroos, making it a successful resident in cooler climates. It actually snows in Tasmania, where they are originally from (they also have a nice, warm house at Cobb's)!
What do they eat?
- Their vegetarian diet consists mainly of grasses, herbs and leaves. They also love corn!
How big do they get?
- Bennett's Wallabies grow to be about 3 feet tall and can grow to be as heavy as 20 kg.
How old do they get?
- They generally live to be about 12 years old but can sometimes live to be over 15 years old!